what is content optimization? content optimization is a technique to make your blog post SEO friendly with the goal acquire maximum traffic and conversations.
more than 90% of businesses use content marketing to connect with audiences and about and about 4.4 million blog posts are published each day that’s a little 3,000 blog posts published every minute. With so much new content being be produced every day the chances of “content overload increase.
content optimization is the process of making sure that content is written in a way that it can reach the largest possible target audience. the process of optimizing content should include making sure associated keywords are present, adding meta and title tags, and relevant links.
from the following picture, you can understand that what is a meta tag.
what is content optimization
content optimization deals with making changes to the blog post or article, such as:
- inclusion of primary keywords and synonyms of seed keywords
- adding an appropriate meta tag
- writing a compelling meta description
- improving the readability score
- increasing the keyword relevancy score
- including relevant internal links
optimized content has a far greater chance of ranking higher in search results – and higher ranking leads to more traffic, increased sales, and extra profits.
why is content optimization important
content marketing optimization is important because without it, your content is unlikely to found your audience—when you optimize your content for search engines, people, and potential customers, find your content.
here are the top reasons why content optimization is so important to your blog’s and websites success:
- it improves the overall quality of your content so that every article on your site is targeted at a particular segment of users.
- it makes it easier for search engines to understand your content so that it ranks on the first page of google, bing, and other major search engines.
- it increases the relevancy of content with your seed keywords. hence, you can acquire targeted traffic resulting in higher leads.
- optimized content targets that user at every stage of the buyer journey.
- it makes it easier for the readers to scan your content so that they can take the action that you want them to ( download, sign up, purchase, etc)
- it helps you decide on the ideal frequency of posting new content on your site. since the performance of every piece of content you produce is measured.
content optimization goals
before you plan your content optimization strategy, it is necessary to list your content goals. your plan of action should then correspond to the goals you wish to achieve.
content optimization goals can fall under any one of these four categories.
achieve top ranking
this is, perhaps, the most common goal of every content optimization strategy. you should list the goal if you wish to achieve top organic ranking for target keywords.
how to rank google in 2021
- improve your on-site SEO.
- add LSI keywords to your page.
- monitor your technical SEO.
- match your content to search intent.
- reduce your bounce rate.
- find even keywords to target.
- publish insanely high-quality content.
- build backlinks to your site.
- track and monitor your results.
- boost your click-through rate.
- use internal linking.
another goal of content optimization can be branding. this goal is for when you want your brand to remain highlighted in the SERPs for every keyword that is significant in the buyer journey.
how to increase branded traffic
- find and organize your branded keywords. a branded search refers to the queries user are searching that includes the name of your brand or some variation of it.
- implement local SEO.
- bid on branded terms.
- publish content on quality websites.
- measure branded search traffic.
another common goal is to increase traffic to your website. this goal help improves both branding and conversions.
SEO can increase your web traffic by making sure that your website features in relevant searches, and so draws in visitors. so-called organic SEO is the process of obtaining a natural placement on search engine result pages. SEO marketing can also improve search ranking by location-based-keywords
the end goal of every content marketing strategy is higher conversions. you should list this goal if you wish to acquire relevant traffic that converts easily.
how to get started with content optimization
by now, you are convinced that content optimization is an indispensable part of your marketing strategy, right?
you have also written down your content marketing goal.
so, without further ado, let’s begin the process of content optimization.
here are some of the top strategies to follow for optimizing your content for higher organic rankings.
- optimize for content decay
content decay happens when you stop revising or updating, the older content on your site and as a result, traffic to these pages starts to decline
content decay might happen for these reasons.
- your competitors are regularly publishing fresh content
- here are new updates happening in the niche that you haven’t included in your older content.
- you have stopped promoting older content, resulting in the loss of new links.
all these factors contribute to content decay, which the major factor for the ranking decline.
one of the easiest ways to spot the pages that have lost traffic is by using the content decay tool by click flow
this tool is specially designed to win back traffic from decaying pages.
once you have connected with the google search console to click flow it will automatically generate a list of posts that have been declining in traffic for the last 12 months.
around 24-48 hours after connecting your google search console account with CF, you will see a report that displays a list of post with the most content decay or, traffic decline
You can see the percentage and the number of sessions of traffic loss since the peak.
Here are some actions you can take to gain back the lost traffic:
- Check the current ranking of the pages that have declined in rankings. Start with your top-ranking 10-20 pages and analyze them for declines in traffic.
- Update the content by adding around 1,000-2,000 words of fresh content after analyzing the top-ranking content in that category.
- Add a video to increase the time spent on the site or page by your visitors.
- Improve the page speed because loading time is one of the most significant factors of Core Web Vitals, which is a vital part of the Page Experience Update. Pages that load faster offer a better browsing experience, and Google promotes instant loading pages in the search results.
- Apply the skyscraper technique to add something unique to your pages that the top-ranking pages don’t have. This could be a table, an infographic, a video, some fresh examples, etc.
- Research some latest developments around the topic and refresh the posts with new and relevant information.
- Start promoting the pages again to gain new links. Remember, links remain one of the most crucial ranking factors.
2) do competitors research
you have heard it before-always be one step ahead of your competition.
but, how exactly do you accomplish that- especially as a newcomer to the market?
by analyzing your competition and monitoring them on an ongoing basis, you will get to know your behavior, enabling you to anticipate their actions and stay one step ahead.
this is known as competitive analysis.
why is it important to research competitors?
the research you gather about your competitors is often referred to as:
it’s not a simple SWOT ( strengthen, weakness, opportunities, threats) analysis or just knowing who is in the ring.
competitive research is crucial to your business because it arms you with the ability to quickly identify industry trends and adapt competitor campaigns or strategies to maintain a foothold or out-compete them entirely.
to make sure you set your business up for success, you will need to a deep dive into the current competition to the landscape.
research is an essential aspect of content optimization. simply enter your seed keywords to google and check the 2-3 top competitors.
here are the things that you need to look at:
- domain authority (DA), page authority (PA), trust flow (TF), and ahrefs domain rating (DR).
- Quality and comprehensiveness of content.
- word count of the post
- freshness of content
- usage of keywords in the title, description, headings, and main content body.
- number of backlinks
- number of social shares
- E.A.T (here is a useful ) E.A.T checklist that covers all the major factors that stand for
the page needs to have quality content written by an expert writer with proven experience, knowledge, or experience.
the site itself needs to have some authority on the subject.
the site needs to have authoritative links pointing to it similar, trusted websites in their industry.
once you list all the comparison metrics, it becomes easier to refresh your content.
3) follow the hashStack technology blog udating guidlines
you always want to extract the full value of your content ROI. hence every post on your blog should be updated regularly to start acquiring new traffic or gain back lost traffic.
several proven method works to increase traffic to your website by merely updating your existing blog posts. these methods have been compiled by hashStack technology, whose six-step blog updating guidelines are :
- rewrite the intro and conclusion because both these sections after a summary of what is present in the article. these sections should be engaging and actionable.
- pick the weak sections in the article and replace them with stronger variations that are helpful for the reader. you can also combine 2-3 points under a single point to make it stronger.
- write as much as required depending on the topic. no specific word count, just make sure your article does justice and offers comprehensive, accurate, up-to-date, unique, and complete information.
- update all the references used in your article and point to sources no more than two years old.
- replace all the older or irrelevant images with a new one.
- replace any older examples with a fresh one.
hence, content marketing is not always about preparing new content, excellent result can be achieved by updating your existing content. This is what content optimization is all about.
4) try to get into featured snippets
a featured snippet is a special content box that answers the user query. it reverses the order of regular organic listening, showing the description first and then the URL of the website.
getting your content ranked as a featured snippet can derive extra traffic to your website because google shows your URL more than once as a featured snippet and also as a regular listening.
a featured snippet is also known as “position zero” which means it is higher than position 1 of the organic search results.
in an experiment conducted by Moze, it was proved that opting out of featured snippets resulted in 12% traffic loss .which goes to show that they are useful for gaining extra clicks, improving branding, and defeating your content organic competitors.
there are no special schema mark up that you can use to mark up your pages as a featured snippet. Google’s system automatically picks the best results depending on the search query and displays it as an answer box.
but there are several strategies you can apply as a content marketer to increase your chances of having your content listed as an answer box.
here are some of the best methods to get your content ranked as a featured snippet.
- create content that especially answers the intent of the user in-depth.
- boost your content with question keywords optimization. more than 90% of the google searches are questions. try finding relevant long-tail questions using tools such as answer the public and prepare in-depth content of the topic.
- prepare high-quality content that is comprehensive, unique, entertaining, and user-focused.
- improve the readability score of your content by using easy and simple to understand sentences. make it easy for readers to scan your content by bullet points, short paragraphs, visuals, and videos.
- use SEMrush to find out how many featured snippets your competitors have. create new content or optimize your existing content to grab those snippets.
5) boost internal linking
how to build internal links
the seven commandments of internal links for top-notch SEO.
- create lots of content. to create lots of internal links, you have to have lots of internal pages.
- use anchor text.
- link deep.
- use links that are natural for the reader.
- use relevant links
- use follow links
- use a reasonable number of internal links.
Google uses links as a major factor to rank a website. both external and internal links are crucial for your content strategy. you can’t control external links but you can certainly control external links.
the right linking strategy can boost the performance of the content on your site. here are some of the best methods to upgrade your internal linking strategies. you can’t control external links but certainly, you can control internal links. here are some of the best methods to upgrade your internal linking strategy.
- follow a site structure so that no source on your website is more than 3 clicks away.
- add relevant external links to other pages of your site from your content ( HashStack Technology does with its ‘Dive Deeper’ boxes sprinkled throughout).
- use a related content section and link to the closely related pages on your site from every thematic content piece. for example, if you have six pages on your site about ” digital marketing” then all these pages should be interlinked to each other.
- remove links from unimportant pages.
- link your cornerstone content from the top navigation. cornerstone content consists of the most important pieces of content on your website.
- fix all broken internal links . using a tool like aheref’s makes it easy.